Smolyan Chamber of Commerce and Industry was established in 1992 as a non-governmental organization in support of business and entrepreneurship. 43 companies are members of the regional chamber. The chamber is a member of BCCI, covering the territory of Smolyan region. This region is situated in South Bulgaria, Eastern part of Rodopi Mountains, on the border with Greece. The nearest airport is about 200 km far – in the town of Plovdiv.
Inhabitants: 111 000 people. Area: 3 193 sq.m.
It is ecologically clean and pure region. The nature, relief and climate are predominantly mountainous, suitable for winter and summer tourism and this particular characteristic of the region has an impact on the entire regional development. Pamporovo, the ski resort is famous internationally and offers excellent conditions for winter tourism.
Tourism in 4 seasons is one of the priority sectors that we are developing , diversified in winter, ecotourism, rural and SPA tourism.
The region is famous also for its unique folklore music and long-living people .
Regional economy, trade and industry: Mainly small and medium enterprises /SME/ in various sectors, as follows:
- bottled water manufacturing /spring, mineral, naturally carbonated/;
- extraction industries: timber industry, wood working
- food industry: dairy products (milk, yogurt,cheese, yellow cheese)
- machinery: production of cables and conductors, copper wires, cables for installation, and telecommunication systems, cutting tools for wood, paper, for textile and light industries, plastic components, electromechanical equipment, automotive components;
- construction companies;
- transport companies;
- manufacturing of clothes and sports equipment;
- producers of natural cosmetics, containing the famous Bulgarian rose petal extract and rose oil – creams, shampoos, toothpastes, etc.